Sunday, January 1, 2012

jealous?

Jodie Carleton is a genius.  She designed and created this dress first; I just stole her idea.  Well, stole with her permission that is.  What is it that they say?  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?  Ya, let's go with that.  

My momma showed me the original selvedge dress on Jodie's blog and I fell instantly in love.  I had to own one for myself.  So, my mom emailed Jodie and asked her if it would be alright if we used her idea, and made one ourselves.  Obviously, she said yes, and even included pointers on how to make it.  Thanks Jodie!

So, here it is.  My version of Jodie's creation that happens to look a lot like hers.  (What can I say?  I love vintage dresses).  The only difference is that my selvedges come from my heaping collection of fabric, and Jodie's selvedges come from her collection.

Oh, and for those of you that don't know what a selvedge is, it is the itty bitty piece of junk on the edge of every piece of fabric.  And rather than throwing away those itty bitty pieces, I cut them off and individually sewed each of them onto that adorable pink polka dot fabric.  













Photos courtesy of sister dearest.

25 comments:

  1. STUNNING! As was Jodie's. If I was younger I'd make me one of these too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your dress looks just as fabulous as Jodies original....great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! Look at all those selvages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that is amazing.......GREAT JOB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great dress! What do non-quilters say about it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! I love the red crinoline too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful job. You model it so well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. quite apart from the wonderful selvege fabric, this dress has very nice classic lines. Great job!

    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful work. I cannot imagine how long that project took you. It's amazing. LOVE the hot pink crinoline! You're adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a lovely dress .. I especially like the flying skirt...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved that dress the first time I saw it and I love your version too. Plus you look adorable in it. Love the hat. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! The polka dots fabric for the lining was such a great idea! You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would that be Mt. Olympus I see in the background? Oh my heart! The perfect background (I miss it terribly) for a perfect dress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! It's a lovely and original creation, and you look wonderful!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all so much! You are all so kind! Laura, even the non-quilters love it! They are amazed that something like this could even be created. And Julie, good eye! That is Mt. Olympus in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When you consider fabric is $10/yd these days, this is very nearly a million dollar dress. :-) You did an AMAZING job. I too only use the text selvages..it's a whole different look than those where people use the solid print selvages. Really...amazing dress. BE PROUD!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never seen anything like this in my life! I am a sewer but non quilter, what am I missing? How did you do this? Did you actually sew the salvages together to make a whole cloth? It is beautiful and you like beautiful in it as with the original.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh that is so fabbity fab fabulous! I thought the first one was gorgeous when I saw it a couple of years ago or whenever she made it, and yours is just as awesome! I dare not let my youngest daughter see this or I will be the next to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are destined to be on Project Runway.... your dress is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. fantastic job julia. I've admired Jodie's style for ages too, but have only tried the red zinger.

    ReplyDelete
  21. again I am very jealous :)
    Im so going to make one... one day :) And I love the dress pattern :)
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Julia, it is simply stunning. I especially love the binding on the collar. Do you wear it out and about ? I am flattered that you liked the original enough to make your own - but yours is just as original, you never make the same dress twice , part of the beauty of selvedges.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jodie, I do wear it out and about! It is my favorite dress. Thanks again for supplying me with the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my lordy, this is amazing, so amazing, now I just need to force all my friends into giving me their selvedges so I can have my very own!

    ReplyDelete